The New Wimbledon Theatre is an Edwardian theatre situated on the Broadway, in Wimbledon, London. The building has stood on the same site since the completion of its construction in 1910, and with a capacity of 1,500 seats, it is one of the largest theatres in London.
The venue is a Grade II listed building designed by entrepreneur and theatre enthusiast J. B. Mulholland. It consists of an elaborate Edwardian auditorium decorated with both Italian renaissance and Georgian influences across its three seating levels. The theatre was built on the site of a grand house with large grounds, and is also the only British theatre to include a Victorian-style Turkish bath in its basement.
The New Wimbledon Theatre first opened as The Wimbledon Theatre with a pantomime production of Jack And Jill on 26 December 1910. It is steeped in British theatre history, having hosted some of the most prominent names in theatre between the two wars, including Gracie Fields, Sybil Thorndike, Ivor Novello and Noël Coward. The venue was also the original home of Lionel Bart’s Oliver! in 1960 and held the world premiere of Half A Sixpence starring in 1963, before both shows transferred over to the West End.
Despite financial difficulties in the early 2000s, the New Wimbledon Theatre was saved by the management of Ambassador Theatre Group in 2003. The group performed various refurbishments to the venue without losing its lavish baroque and Adamesque internal features. The theatre reopened to a production of Matthew Bourne’s The Nutcracker in 2004. The venue continues to play host to numerous touring productions of musicals, ballets, operas and plays, as well as an annual pantomime each Christmas.