Originally opened in 1929 as a super cinema, The Regent Theatre’s first presentation was a silent film, The Last Command. The foyer was luxuriously decorated in the fashionable Art Deco style, with similar splendour in the auditorium and its reputation grew for presenting Sunday concerts. In 1950 there was a name change to the Gaumont and the venue became part of the increasing touring pop concert circuit in the 60s and was extensively used for amateur operatic and musical comedy productions. It 1974 it was given a triple screen and renamed the Odeon Film Centre two years later. In 1989, following the opening of a six screen Odeon at the Festival Park, it closed.
Following a three year, £23 million development of the city centre, The Regent Theatre was reopened on 22 September 1999 after being fully restored to its previously elegant Art Deco style and has already been visited by a host of distinguished guests including Sir Derek Jacobi. Her Majesty the Queen officially opened The Regent Theatre in October 1999. As a number one touring venue, The Regent Theatre is capable of taking the largest touring productions and has already played host to the very best opera, dance, drama and musicals, direct from Broadway and the West End. Most notably, Glyndebourne Touring Opera has relocated its northern operation from Manchester to The Regent Theatre, attracted by the outstanding backstage and front of house facilities that the venue offers. Other highlights have included Royal National Theatre's An Inspector Calls, Royal National Theatre's Noises Off, Adventures in Motion Pictures' Swan Lake and the West End smash hit Saturday Night Fever.