Harlow Playhouse is located in Playhouse Square in the town of Harlow, on the border of Essex and Hertfordshire. The location of the venue at the heart of the town centre reflects its aim to be at the heart of the Harlow public. The ethos of the venue is to be an innovative creative hub for the area and provide cultural experiences to nurture a healthier and happier community.
The Playhouse was the result of a lengthy campaign to provide a proper building to host performing arts. In November 1957, a Theatre Working Party was established by local theatrical figures, but it wasn’t until three years later that the foundations for The Playhouse were finally set by Jennie Lee, then Minister for the Arts. The theatre was to be a branch of Harlow Council, as it still is today, and its construction was funded by a number of organisations, including Harlow Development Corporation, the Arts Council of Great Britain, the British Film Institute and Essex County Council. The Playhouse finally opened on the 1st of November 1971 with a Gala Show starring the famous entertainer, Lulu.
In present times, the theatre presents a varied programme of shows which cater for all artistic tastes, playing host to theatre, music concerts, magic shows, circus performances, comedians and a range of music nights. The venue has two theatres and a creative arts space which allows the Harlow Playhouse to put on a varied professional programme and support amateur theatre productions.
nute walk, and Harlow Town Railway Station is a 40 minute walk (or 10 minute taxi drive) from the Playhouse.